Saturday 5 April 2014

ltfe at Crief Hydro part two

In the evening I met a kitchen porter called Johnnie he was handsome in a rugged sort of way, and we just clicked.He asked me to go for a walk with him, so we walked round the grounds which were really extensive and with the mountains in the distance, it was a really special place. Johnnie asked me to be is girl and he would look out for me and protect me, it sounded very romantic. He then told me about seeing his Mother shot and killed on a train in Glasgow, it had obviously affected him deeply, and I felt really sorry for him.
So life became very exciting Johnnie took me everywhere, we had picnics out and long walks, he took me to local dances. Then he asked me to go to a dance in Auchtararder, that was where my Auntie and Uncle lived so I had been there for holidays quite often in the past.I was looking forward to going there so I made an effort and put on my favourite black dress, it looked really good .

We arrived at Auchtararder in an old cortina car.the dance hall was really the town hall, we climbed the stairs and we could hear the music before we opened the door, then it engulfed us. The band were dressed in blue blazors, they looked really cool. But Johnnie was steering me towards the dance floor.
'Come on let's dance'. He was dressed in drainpipe trousers and a long yellow jacket with velvet lapels. He looked a bit like a teddy boy.
The hall was large with a high roof,it was really ornate a bit Victorian looking.Their were tables round the room with chairs round them and ashtrays, I liked the smell of smoking I thought it looked cool smoking.Then we were dancing but, Johnnie had two left feet.

My heart stopped  there standing in front of us was Iain Sinclair,I knew him from having holidays here he was a friend of my Uncle's family.He was really handsome but I had always preferred his brother Donald he was more rugged looking but he had joined the navy.Iain used to come round and ask me out but I always said no.. But now he looked really grown up I knew he wanted me to dance, but I dare not Johnnie was too possessive.

'What you looking at, she's with me right'.
'Well I knew her long before you mate and I want to talk to her'.
'Well you can't', and he started jabbing Iain, so clear off or I'll do for you mate'. Then they started with small thumps and then it got more intense.
'Stop it Johnnie', I cried but he wasn't listening, I could feel sweat forming on my forehead and my neck it was trickling down my back. I didn't want them to hurt each other I liked them both. The air became oppressive people were crowding round to watch and were shouting 'come on Iain give it him and Johnnies friends were goading him to' finish him off Johnnie he's too pretty give him a black eye'.
'Stop it Stop it I shouted I began to cry and could feel the saltiness of my tears, it became very hot and I began to feel light headed the sounds seemed to be far away now and I couldn't reach them I knew I was falling and I couldn't do anything about it.

When I came round I was in the car,   they were all laughing about the fight

Next day I knew Iain would have told my Auntie ,I would have to ring and find if he was all right I couldn't get any sense out of Johnnie
Next day my mother rang and asked  me to ring home,I rang and she said my Auntie had rung and was worried about the company I was keeping and wanted me to come home.I told her I was fine and rang off. Later that week I was called into the Housekeeper's office it seemed my Mother had written and given my notice and has I was under eighteen she had no choice but to implement it.
Later I received a train ticket  I was really furious and when I got home  I didn't speak to my Mum for ages.


No comments:

Post a Comment